Tuesday 17 June 2014

Trying a triathlon

I think it’s fairly common after a marathon to fancy trying something new. Despite having had a very positive first marathon experience, I’ve still not wanted to head straight back into a training cycle. I’m enjoying shorter runs but I’m also enjoying having time to do different sports and the temptation to do a triathlon has started to increase. Recently a local triathlon club advertised a “GoTri” mini triathlon event about 3 miles from my house (given that I live in a village that’s about as close as events get) and I signed up. 

It was a bit of a mixed experience but overall I’m definitely glad that I did it – I’ve summarised what I liked and didn’t like below.


Overall, the buzz I got from finishing and from the transition (particularly the post-swim transition – who knew I’d get such a kick out of that!) means that I’m almost certain that I will sign up for a proper triathlon. The event was useful for giving me a feel for that, but unfortunately it has put me off considering joining the triathlon club who put the event on – telling people off for being late, especially when they weren’t late according to the published start time, set a very negative tone and I don’t think it ever quite recovered from that. I was lucky in that a big group of supportive friends from parkrun and my twitter friend Katie were all there and that made it fun, but I can imagine that if you’d turned up on your own you might have felt a bit intimidated by the organisers. Giving out medals definitely helped regain them some favours though…

No comments:

Post a Comment