Monday 7 April 2014

The day I felt like a rockstar

Sunday April 6th 2014: My day in minutes and miles.

6.15: Wake up, gingerely test legs - think, they're not sore considering I ran a marathon yesterday.
6.16: Realise I haven't run it yet. Oh. Feel a bit sick.
6.20: Check twitter, notice a Happy Birthday tweet - oh yeah, it's my birthday. The marathon takes over everything.
7.00: Attempt to eat breakfast. Manage to force down half a bowl of porridge and a banana without throwing up & consider it an accomplishment.
7.45: Walk the 2ish miles to the start very slowly as a warm up (and because all the roads are closed so it's the only way). Both my hamstrings feel tight but tell myself it's only nerves.
8.20: Arrive at Preston Park and immediately join a toilet queue. It's just like any other race and that's a good thing.
8.45: Neil takes the obligatory "before" photo before heading off to his first spectator spot.
9.00: Head to the start pen. Huddle under a bin bag when it rains. 
9.05: Rain has stopped - maybe the running gods love us after all and the forecast "heavy rain and strong winds" might not happen.
9.15: Klaxon goes. We don't move.
9.23: Cross the line, high-fiving Paula Radcliffe in the process. 

At this point the concept of actual time becomes lost and it's all about minutes per mile. Some mile highlights:

Just before 3: First glimpse of spectating team with personalised signs. These guys rocked.
3: Spot Neil - exchange high fives. Let's do this thing!
5: Spectating team (now including Neil) whooping away

The next part of the course was an out and back along the coast- I knew I wasn't going to see the team until about mile 14 so I just concentrated on keeping my rhythm and getting on with it. Quite enjoyed this part - I still felt fresh and the pace was manageable. I didn't enjoy not being able to open my gels though - I ended up squirting one all over my face to the delight of a small child watching. Sticky gel mixed with sweat - nice. 

Mile 13: Back in town, amazing support. Putting my name on my vest was the best decision ever - I felt like the whole crowd was there for me! 
13.5: Spectating team out in force again.
Miles 14-18: The hardest ones for me. Another out and back and I was getting tired but knew I still had a long way to go. 
18: Stopped for a quick hug with Neil then it was time to head to the power station, on the "Road to Hell"
20-22: Round the power station which says it all.
23: Turned for home but the pier still looked a long way away.
24: Realised I'd either miscounted or lost a gel. Panicked that I was going to run out of energy. Stuffed my face with all the jelly babies I could find- thank you people of Brighton, IOU some sweets.
24: A very long mile. 
25: Saw my team again - now I really was "nearly there"!
25-26: Loved this mile, it was through crowds who were all shouting my name - I think I smiled for the whole mile (in between the grimaces - it hurt too)
26: Suddenly I was at 400m to go - wow! Sped up, or at least felt like I did and raised my arms in the air. The sun came out & suddenly I thought that there was no better way to spend a birthday.

Finish: 4:23, consistent 10 minute miling. Delighted. 

1 minute after the finish: Learn that a sprint finish + half sobbing = difficult to breathe. Manage to calm myself down before needing medical attention. 

Later that afternoon: Reunited with the best team of supporters ever. Discover that slightly damp pebbles are heaven for sore feet. Feel high on endorphins for the rest of the day (and it turns out, all night - I couldn't sleep!). I think this photo says it all. 

Thank you to everyone who has supported me - I get the glory but so many people were there for me. Marathon running comes highly recommended. 

2 comments:

  1. Huge congratulations and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant running!! AND you high-fived Paula Radcliffe!! Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete